Tuesday, June 24, 2008

TRINITY CHURCH

As promised, you're invited to join me at Abby & Sean's wedding in New York City.
The ceremony was held at Trinity Church on Broadway and Wall Street in Manhattan.

The train stops right on the corner by the church.
Just down the block is the famous Wall Street bull.



The first Trinity Church was built in 1698. It was destroyed in the Great NY Fire in 1776.
The second church lasted from 1790 to 1840.

In 1846, the church that you see here was built. Three's a charm!
The graves of Alexander Hamilton and many other famous NYers are in the church's cemetery. It's said you can tell the tourists from the native New Yorkers because the tourists walk along looking up at the big buildings. However, on lower Broadway, there is a good reason to look down. The sidewalk has plaques at regular intervals to celebrate each of the city's ticker-tape parades.

The first ticker tape parade was held in 1886. Others, such as one to commemorate the return of Theodore Roosevelt from his safari in Africa, followed.

For over half a century, they were held for every visiting head of state and to celebrate historic events of all sorts. After the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, hometown sports champions and astronauts are the more usual recipients.
Now that ticker tape machines have gone the way of the dinosaurs, ordinary white paper is shredded into narrow strips to be tossed from office windows and rooftops.

After Abby and Sean were pronounced man and wife, we boarded a bus provided by the proud parents and headed for Brooklyn.

That's the Brookyln Bridge with Manhattan in the background.

To be continued...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I go to New York, I'm taking YOU as my tour guide. What a BEAUTIFUL CHURCH..!!!

Thanks for sharing...:)

Hugs,
Dianne

NeereAnDear said...

Barbara.... thank you for the tour.... cant wait for the next section... its been a very long time since I have been in New York so it was nice to get to see the sights...

Can't wait for the next installment

HUGS

JO

. said...

Thanks for the pictoral tour. I love that church. The architecture is stunning. Congrats to the newlyweds!

Thanks too for showing a little of the financial district. My son lives in Manhattan on the upper West Side and just finished a show at the World Financial Center in Battery Park called "Corporate Carnival".

And you're so right about the difference between New Yorkers and tourists! ;) Austin is always telling me, "Mom, look ahead, not up". I have a tendency to walk into people in NY. :D

Claire

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What an exquisite place for a wedding! Lovely memories for all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking me Barbara. The Trinity Church is SO beautiful. It takes my breath away!
Constance

Linda said...

Hi Barbara,
Thank you for the tour, being from a different country I love it when people show us around their towns, cities and places where they have been. I find it fascinating it's like travelling without the cost. I love the church, what happened to the secound one? Congrats to the newly weds can't wait to see some more.
Cheers Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful church!!! Congrats!

I found your blog on Planet Claire!! I'm getting lost in looking around!! Thanks!

{oc cottage} said...

Great pictures, thx for the tour!

M ^..^

Mandie said...

That church is BEAUTIFUL!!! WOW Looks like you had a great time.

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What an absolutely beautiful church. On my list to visit some day is NY. Thanks for sharing such beautiful scenic pics.

Judy's Vintage Collections said...

Thanks so much Barbara for the wonderful pictures of Manhattan...At my age I will probability never go and see NY...I love history and love looking at the picture...The church was so lovely built and the graves made me just stop and think....of days gone by and life back then....thanks again for sharing your stories....
from the heart of Texas!
afriendtoyou!
Judy

Sandy said...

Magical! Thanks for the history lesson accompanying your great photos. I'd love to see it myself someday.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love all of the wonderful glimpses you are giving us of NY....
Hugs,
Penny

Sue said...

I remember seeing the church, your photos are beautiful. Must remember to look down the next time we are in the Financial District. Never knew about the ticker tape signs on the street.

Barbara Jacksier said...

Linda

The second church was done in by heavy snow storms that wrecked the roof.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a beautiful, beautiful church. I miss the wonderful, old churches and buildings like this. Around here in California we don't have too many. I bet it was a wonderful ceremony. Thanks for the tour, Barbara.:)
xo Lidy