Tuesday, March 20, 2012

WHAT'S YOUR NUMBER?


I know I'm not alone in saying that I have been anxiously awaiting the publication of Fifi O'Neill's Romantic Prairie Cookbook.

Of course, I have a special reason ... my little backyard farm and several of my recipes are featured in the book.

On Sunday night, I received a message from the inimitable Elizabeth Kirkpatrick (La Contessa of Vintage Hen House.)

She said she had a copy of the book in her hands because it had shipped sooner than expected.

Why hadn't my copy arrived? Luckily, patience is one of my virtues.

"What are your numbers," I asked? (La Contessa is also featured in the book )

"What are yours?" she replied.

I didn't have an answer yet as I didn't have my copy.

Elizabeth had already found one of my recipes. I was extremely flattered to learn that she had bought the ingredients and planned to make my pot roast with root vegetables for dinner on Monday night.


All day Monday, the books arrived in folks' mailboxes and I have received calls and emails, asking "what are your numbers?" It was like a secret code!

But my book hadn't arrived.

This morning, Elizabeth emailed to say she used a beef tenderloin and her roast was "spot on perfecto."

She also mentioned that she had never tried celery root, rutabaga or parsnips (some of the root veggies that I grow) and really liked them roasted.

Happily, my copy of the book arrived this morning and it's gorgeous.

Now I can share my numbers! They are: 29, 76-77, 98-101, 126 and 150-157.

You NEED a copy. And, if you try any of my recipes, please let me know.

Samantha, one of my two Silver Spangled Hamburg chickens (aka the Miracle chicken), says she enjoyed modeling. In fact, she's starting to make a career of it!

She is going to be filmed for a cable TV show later this week!

3 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I just heard about the book yesterday and ordered it on Amazon. Congratulations on being featured in it!

XO,
Jane

LA CONTESSA said...

OH< what a delight your BLOG is!And I meant to ask you what kind of chicken that was.......now I know!This will be quick as I need to go read more!Thanks for the numbers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roberta said...

Looks yummy Barbara! And good luck to Samantha:) Ha, and never go out to tend the girls without your lipstick; reporters or not.
xoRoberta