Tuesday, June 5, 2007

SPOTLIGHT ON STARFISH


Today, Dan and I were sorting through photos of vignettes and details in order to choose a few for the book’s introduction and chapter openers. We came across a photo of a starfish that I snapped in Jamaica while we were there photographing a brochure for The Villas on Bluefields Bay. Want to play Where’s Waldo? Find me (not Waldo) in one of the photos on the Bluefields web site (www.bluefieldsvillas.com). Some of the photos on the site are from that heavenly photo shoot.

Even before I realized their decorating potential, I was attracted to star fish. As a kid, I kept several in a treasure box under my bed. Now, I display several different kinds on the window ledges in my dining room.

Quick Trick: Tie these pointy-toed denizens of the deep onto a ribbon or string to make a garland. String across a mantel, footboard or curtain.

Starfish Trivia: There are over 1,800 species of starfish in the world’s oceans and saltwater tributaries and bays. Most have five legs, however some have more or less. At www.seashells.org/identcatagories/starfish.htm you can see photos of several unusual varieties. Need some for a decorating project? www.seashellcity.com stocks a nice assortment of types and sizes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these ideas! Now you've got me thinking...
:)

Anonymous said...

Dan? and Jamaica? sounds like heaven!!LOL! Loving these photos, hope Dan approves of any "crop-ness" and re-sizing!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I am delighted to have found your blog! I can't wait to see your book, I am sure it will be one of those that we will all keep and look at forever.
Lidy

Ginny Gibson said...

Hello and welcome to Blog land.

Makes us sound like a bunch of little aliens but everyone is great, you get pink people, duck egg blue people even cutie pie .... opps I feel a song coming on.

Anyway Blogland is a wonderful world of inspiration and talent, and a great place to critic most things including books.

I have bought so many books on the say so of others, I would not have even known they existed.

So now we have a book blog which is great - I can't wait to get hold of your latest book - it sounds great.

Good luck with it and best wishes

Ginny (in England)...

Sue said...

Hi Barbara,
Welcome to the blog world! Just came over from Tara's blog to say how exciting it is to have you sharing your book journey with us. Your two magazines are my favorites. Love your header picture. Stop by my blog and say hi if you get a minute. It would be an honor to have you.
Sue
Life At Home